From the outset of the conceptual planning for the regeneration of the Bath Grounds, we recognised that the project sits within an important conservation area and within the setting of a number of designated heritage sites.
We therefore engaged specialist heritage consultants, Node, to assist us with the planning of the development proposals, and have worked in close consultation with heritage stakeholders- English Heritage and the Conservation Officer at North West Leicestershire District Council.
Across all elements of the regeneration proposals we have strived to achieve a quality of design that will enhance the appearance of the conservation area and have a positive impact on the setting of the heritage assets.
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel is a grade II* listed building,
conferring that it is of ‘more than special interest’
(grade II* constitutes 5.5% of listed buildings). The Ashby de la Zouch Conservation area Appraisal recognises that the buildings of the former spa resort around the Bath Grounds, including the Royal Hotel
and its neighbouring Rawdon House and Terrace form
a ‘distinct group’. The Royal Hotel was previously
known as the Hastings Hotel, named after the
Hastings family that occupied Ashby castle.
The Ivanhoe Baths was a Neo-Grecianbuilding of 1822 with a Doric façade 200 feet (61 m) long. It was derelict by 1960 and was demolished in 1962. The baths had their origins in the discovery of a copious saline spring when working coal at Moira Colliery, 3 miles (4.8 km) west of the town, in 1805. Here the Moira Baths were built, with a large hotel nearby. After a few years however, it was decided to convey the water to Ashby, where the Ivanhoe Baths were built. The Royal Hotel was built in 1826 to accommodate visitors to the growing spa. It has a Doric column entrance and further Doric columns in its hall inside.